BORIS








Our generation have the platform and possibility to be the most one powerful yet. With social media, freedom of speech and a sturdy education behind us, we could really make a difference.

Using Greta Thunberg as an example, it just shows the difference that one person can make. I have literally no time for people that give it the biggun “what difference is it gonna make if everyone else still does it”. That phrase is my biggest pet peeve. When people question why I am vegetarian for example (which they soon regret as I rant on about ignorance for the following 20 minutes) I always get told that classic line of what difference is one person. But it isn’t one person is it…I know at least 30 veggies myself and that’s just in my life. Think of how many people that equates to if you applied it to everyone’s circles. Anyway…this isn’t about being a veggie (I’ll save that for a different rant). THIS IS ABOUT YOUNG PEOPLES ENGAGEMENT WITH POLITICS.

Young people love to post pics of Jeremy Corbyn on stage at Glasto or pics with the caption ‘Fuck Boris’ but have still not even registered to vote. This is so classic of how our generation mis-use our platforms. Anyone that is ignorant enough to not educate themselves on politics because they feel it ‘doesn’t relate to them’ or because they just can’t be bothered to learn need some serious shaking. This is when I tend to fall out with people, I don’t care about your political stance, you have freedom to be a tory or a lefty and I have no judgement for your reasoning for that. But to not even have an opinion…. what a waste?
 At this current time the world of politics is more prominent than ever and our generation (if we actually voted) have all the power. If everyone you knew under 30 was registered to vote and showed face at elections, the impact would be incredible.

Registering to vote takes less than 5 minutes (you can even register for a postal vote, so you don’t have to leave your house go to a polling station on the day if you’re a busy bunny). If even one person registers to vote after reading, then I am happy I spent two hours in the library writing this.
I probs don’t need to go through the Brexit voting statistics but I’ll touch on them anyway as it is a real eye opener.
So, it is quite evident that the under 40’s were very much remainers. Each demographic is completely entitled to their opinion and this isn’t me digging at leavers. But the sad part of this is that only 64% (of registered voters aged 18-24) voted in the Brexit referendum. There are still hundreds of thousands who weren’t even registered.
If we had all taken 5 minutes out of our day to register and vote the results could have been a lot different. Although I wasn’t old enough to vote at the time, I know I wouldn’t have had an option not to vote due to having a politically active and interested family- and I am so grateful for this.

Using a different example as I’m sure you are all up to your eyes in Brexit conversations. Let’s talk about immigration.  
In the most recent British Social Attitudes survey shows that 61% of those aged 18 to 34 thinks that immigration enriches Britain's cultural life. However, only 38% of those aged 55 and over feel that way.
This again is very much a generational thing and was a huge drive behind peoples misinformed Brexit votes. I’m sure a few of us have borderline unintentionally racist grandparents who have these opinions from simply growing up in a very different society. But this just shows that a lot of people making decisions for us on immigration etc are old racist farts with out of date views (cough Donald, cough Boris, cough Farage).

If there was a racial immigration vote the young people would for sure put their foot down. Our generation thrives on diversity, music, fashion and culture. We are the most diverse and intermixed demographic of all, so we feel protective of other races and communities (perhaps less so than the older generations that were slightly less diverse at that point in time). These huge political decisions could be so strongly overcome by the under 30’s!!!! If you truly believe F*CK BORIS, then register to vote and have your say instead of posting useless memes on your story and following the crowd.
I am so so passionate about this (as you can probably tell) and it isn’t me being a politically active snowflake, it is me exercising my right to vote, which women died for the rights to. Even if there was a second referendum and you chose to vote leave again, I wouldn’t judge you (I would a little) but as long as you made an educated decision then you are entitled to that and I am happy.
Being politically active is literally the most basic requirement for being a well-rounded, educated human being. 

Do it for your future kids, do it for your right to travel, do it for your multicultural communities, do it for the people living on the poverty line, do it for the NHS, do it for refugees, do it for YOU. 


It is within your best interest to at least have your say and say you tried to save the sinking ship which is the United Kingdom.

Link below to register to vote if you haven’t already. Please do it xxxxxx


https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Popular Posts

Image

LADIES FIRST

Image

FIND YOUR WINGS